Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Concert Happenings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2008, 05:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Oblivious
NEARfest get-together?

Hey gang,

I know I've been away from AM for quite a while, but I thought I would pop in to see if there are plans for folks to get together at NEARfest. I'll be there for Friday as well as the weekend.

Mr. Oblivious (a.k.a. Doug Maynard)
Old 06-11-2008, 06:33 AM

Re: NEARfest get-together?

Other than the group photo, I deliberately do not have any plans. Nearfest is one of the few times that I make no specific plans, it's refreshing.

The opportunity to meet past and future friends is what I'm looking forward to. Don't think I will be playing disc gold this year, although I can be arm-twisted...
Old 06-11-2008, 09:08 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Oblivious View Post
Hey gang,

I know I've been away from AM for quite a while, but I thought I would pop in to see if there are plans for folks to get together at NEARfest. I'll be there for Friday as well as the weekend.

Mr. Oblivious (a.k.a. Doug Maynard)
Tom will be broadcasting from the lounge in the Comfort Inn and Suites each day of NEARfest. I'd suggest that everyone decide on one day (Saturday?) and meet there.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-13-2008, 08:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Oblivious

Either day works for me... are you thinking before the first performance or after the last?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:30 PM
la familia patron

I 'm up for most anything. We get in on Thursday.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Who is all going?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
Who is all going?
ProgDirJim,
Avian,
VAXman, M and Kris (unless I kill him first),
Rick and Roll,
NorCalKurt,
Nadina,
LGTsings4u,
Mr. Oblivious,
TheFish,
Dinosaur,...

C'mon... stand up and be counted. I'm certain there are more.

Cogito ergo iMac.         

Last edited by VAXman : 06-17-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:51 PM
No clue anymore

I'll go.

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

"There are three things Money can't buy, Manners, Morals and Integrity." - Me
Old 06-16-2008, 11:26 PM

Forgot ,Dinosaur is going....
Old 06-17-2008, 02:00 PM

I had to sell my NF ticket this year for personal reasons. However, I will be at the pre show on Friday night. Perhaps I'll see some of you there.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to AngelSings4u2 Send a message via Yahoo to AngelSings4u2

Hey Guys,

We're coming...

LGTSings4u2 and ProgPhil30

Hey Vax....Can I change my user name? to AngelSings4u2....?????

Love ya, Smiles, Angel
Old 06-17-2008, 07:55 PM
la familia patron

oh no, now look at what I've started.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian

Hey gang,

I'll be getting in late Friday afternoon - probably before the preshow. I'm staying at the red roof in, so if anyone knows of any Bethlehem reservations that someone isn't using, let me know. Anyway, I have a ticket to Fri night, but not sure if I can be there, because I have to set up for the Friday night Aural Moon Gagliarchives broadcast as soon as I roll into town. If all goes well, the setup will be a breeze, and I'll be able to catch some Fast Fish.

Really looking forward to having some fun this time around. Wow - what a wild, strange year it's been since the last NF!

See everyone on Friday!

A
Old 06-18-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
I'll be getting in late Friday afternoon - probably before the preshow.
A
Talked to Jeff last night...if you ride with him, you'll be in town about 4-5 PM. I should be done playing disc by then
Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Hey gang,

I'll be getting in late Friday afternoon - probably before the preshow. I'm staying at the red roof in, so if anyone knows of any Bethlehem reservations that someone isn't using, let me know. Anyway, I have a ticket to Fri night, but not sure if I can be there, because I have to set up for the Friday night Aural Moon Gagliarchives broadcast as soon as I roll into town. If all goes well, the setup will be a breeze, and I'll be able to catch some Fast Fish.

Really looking forward to having some fun this time around. Wow - what a wild, strange year it's been since the last NF!

See everyone on Friday!

A
Avian,

I have been working on that for the past few weeks since I first spoke with Kevin Feeley at a NJPH event about Aural Moon carrying this broadcast.

I've purchased a 24bit PCM/USB encoder and a laptop (2.4MHz Compaq Evo). It is running the latest version of Ubuntu Linux (8.04). I've installed Shoutcast (SC) and IDJC (Internet DJ Console) on the laptop.

I have installed Cygwin on the station for scripting needs and the OpenSSH server for secure access and port tunneling.

I've created a playlist item for the Live broadcast in SAM and it is located in the "live resources".

The Laptop and PCM encoder can stay and run around the clock AFAIAC. I have a lock for the laptop so that it doesn't walk. The connection to the station, since Cygwin and OpenSSH have been installed, can now be handled with ssh and ssh tunneling (malice of foresight to avoid any problems with hotel internet firewalls).

From the laptop, an ssh connection is made to the station:

Code:
$ ssh -p{ssh_port} -R{SC_port}:localhost:{SC_port} administrator@station.domain.com password: {yeah, right, like you think I'd put that here?}
I've intentionally elided the port number details and station domain so that information isn't listed when this page is indexed by Google.

The playlist item is located in the "live resources" on the station (SAM). If you look, it is listed as: http://localhost:{SC_port}

Once Tom's board is plugged into the PCM encoder and the connection is made to SAM, it's ready to go. The live resource I've created only needs to be queued at the appropriate time. In fact, if I knew the actual times, it could be queued up and dequeued automagically by SAM. I would think that queueing it up would be sage and dequeue it manually in case the
show runs long

I've run several tests of the above as other moonies can attest. It's working swimmingly. 44.1KHz(Nq)@192Kbps MP3 too.

Like I said, the only missing piece of the puzzle are the air times for Friday and Saturday (and Sunday?).

_________

FWIW, I would stream the Saturday Gagliarchives this way but I'd need to invest in the antenna I've described here in the past. However, since the retransmission of Gagliarchives is iffy, I haven't gone that route ... yet.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian

Holy cow - OK, looks like you have everything covered! I was just setting up the same system on my MacBook Pro (with shoutcast server for OSX and Nicecast streaming into it, with SAM relaying the shoutcast server on my laptop), and tested it last night. So we'll have lots of options. It worked great last year AFTER I worked around the firewall port restrictions of the hotel's internet connection. That will be the only hurdle we'll have to figure out. The hotel blocks all incoming ports. Except for port 80. But outgoing ports are unrestricted (or something like that - tryibng to remember). But in any case, we'll have to fool around with that - but it's just choosing the right port numbers that will get through the hotel firewall.

Do you have something to archive the broadcast? I can probably connect to your shoutcast server, and rip the stream directly from it (at 192k) if not.

Now if we can just do this with beer in us...

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Avian,

I have been working on that for the past few weeks since I first spoke with Kevin Feeley at a NJPH event about Aural Moon carrying this broadcast.

I've purchased a 24bit PCM/USB encoder and a laptop (2.4MHz Compaq Evo). It is running the latest version of Ubuntu Linux (8.04). I've installed Shoutcast (SC) and IDJC (Internet DJ Console) on the laptop.

I have installed Cygwin on the station for scripting needs and the OpenSSH server for secure access and port tunneling.

I've created a playlist item for the Live broadcast in SAM and it is located in the "live resources".

The Laptop and PCM encoder can stay and run around the clock AFAIAC. I have a lock for the laptop so that it doesn't walk. The connection to the station, since Cygwin and OpenSSH have been installed, can now be handled with ssh and ssh tunneling (malice of foresight to avoid any problems with hotel internet firewalls).

From the laptop, an ssh connection is made to the station:

Code:
$ ssh -p{ssh_port} -R{SC_port}:localhost:{SC_port} administrator@station.domain.com password: {yeah, right, like you think I'd put that here?}
I've intentionally elided the port number details and station domain so that information isn't listed when this page is indexed by Google.

The playlist item is located in the "live resources" on the station (SAM). If you look, it is listed as: http://localhost:{SC_port}

Once Tom's board is plugged into the PCM encoder and the connection is made to SAM, it's ready to go. The live resource I've created only needs to be queued at the appropriate time. In fact, if I knew the actual times, it could be queued up and dequeued automagically by SAM. I would think that queueing it up would be sage and dequeue it manually in case the
show runs long

I've run several tests of the above as other moonies can attest. It's working swimmingly. 44.1KHz(Nq)@192Kbps MP3 too.

Like I said, the only missing piece of the puzzle are the air times for Friday and Saturday (and Sunday?).

_________

FWIW, I would stream the Saturday Gagliarchives this way but I'd need to invest in the antenna I've described here in the past. However, since the retransmission of Gagliarchives is iffy, I haven't gone that route ... yet.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:28 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Holy cow - OK, looks like you have everything covered! I was just setting up the same system on my MacBook Pro (with shoutcast server for OSX and Nicecast streaming into it, with SAM relaying the shoutcast server on my laptop), and tested it last night. So we'll have lots of options. It worked great last year AFTER I worked around the firewall port restrictions of the hotel's internet connection. That will be the only hurdle we'll have to figure out. The hotel blocks all incoming ports. Except for port 80. But outgoing ports are unrestricted (or something like that - tryibng to remember). But in any case, we'll have to fool around with that - but it's just choosing the right port numbers that will get through the hotel firewall.

Do you have something to archive the broadcast? I can probably connect to your shoutcast server, and rip the stream directly from it (at 192k) if not.

Now if we can just do this with beer in us...

A
Read the code box. ssh tunneling is the way to go. Buggers any firewall that may be there. You've got that nice MacBook Pro now, it would behoove you to get familiar with ssh. It's a great way to bypass firewalls and access resources securely when you are on the road.

What that command says is that after instantiating the ssh connection to the ssh server on the target running on port {ssh_port}, tunnel the remote (-R ) port {SC_port} to localhost and associate (connect) that port with the port {SCport) on the client side. You now only need to direct SAM to the Shoutcast server on http://localhost:{SC_port}

The PCM encoder has an S/PDIF digital output. If we had an actual digital recorder that would be the ideal way to handle it. We can then edit and convert later. I may look about later if I have a chance to. Life is busy here with the end of school and graduation. When you next see Kris, he will be a HS grad.

Cogito ergo iMac.         

Last edited by VAXman : 06-18-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:27 PM
progger propellerhead

Avian,

I've created a new category called Live Broadcast and I entered the playlist info there. I then put the category into the event scheduler for a test but it was not queued. I'd like the playlist item to be queued as it was created with information and a graphic for display on the web site. Can you take a look at this? It should be set to queue at 21:00 hours (assuming I'm correct about the start time for Gags broadcast) each of the evenings of NF.

There's no documentation on this and everytime I ask the Spacial Audio folks a question I get lip service. I can't even get them to OK my forum membership. It appears that membership to their forum is free but maybe not.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 PM

Looking forward to meeting you all! Holler at me! Here's a pic....

http://www.myspace.com/georgiaguitar
Old 06-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Monkeyboy =)

Add me to this, I'll be there, can't miss BANCO!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: